When it comes time to invest in a sewing machine, the options (and price ranges) available can be daunting. Whether you’re looking to replace a beloved sewing machine that has gone over the quilted rainbow in the sky, or want to start out on your own quilting adventures for the first time, investing in a sewing machine can be an important part of your crafting journey, but it shouldn’t have to break your bank.
Depending on the extravagance you’re looking for in your quilting sewing machine, there is a wide range of specialized sewing machines available with a wider degree of price points. For our search, we’ve rounded up the most generally useful quilting sewing machines at a reasonable price point that won’t leave your wallet feeling like it could use some new stuffing of its own.
|Janome 2030QDC-B Computerized Quilting and Sewing Machine||$399.00||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Quilting Machine||$96.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i||$149.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Designio Series, DZ2400, Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine||$201.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine||from $389.90||Read Reviews On Amazon|
What to Keep in Mind
You want to look for a quilting machine with a longer arm option, and plenty of stitch and foot options to choose from. The more options available, the higher the price point in many cases. However, you don’t have to cut on quality to get a sewing machine within your price range. All of our below options take advantage of the many different stitches available in modern machines. Many sewing machines also offer adjustable arms and bases, as well as many different stitch feet for you to work with. We’ve gone for the best base sewing machines for quilting available, but have counted most long arms out of our search, since these can run on the pricy end. However, check out our article on Best Mid and Long Arm Quilting Machines to find out why a long arm quilting sewing machine can change the way you quilt for the best.
No matter what quilting project you have in mind, finding the right sewing machine for your project is a great way to ensure your next quilt comes out looking like a million bucks, without spending a million on your quilting machine, of course.
Without further explanation and ado, here are the best sewing machines for quilting under $500.
Our Favorite Sewing Machines For Quilting Under $500 In 2019
This sewing machine falls into the realm of pay more for more features. Not only is the Janome 2030QDC-B Computerized Quilting and Sewing Machine with Bonus Quilt Kit equipped with computerized stitch selectors, but it also comes with a bonus quilting kit, and boasts a 7 mm stitch width. It’s LCD display and one-handed needle threader are a bonus for anyone who has spent far too long trying to thread a finicky needle on the go. What makes it a good option for quilters is its extendable table, allowing you to transition from a traditional sewing machine to a quasi-long arm machine in seconds. And it’s lightweight design makes it easy to carry around, making it perfect for traveling. However, as pointed out by one Amazon reviewer, the machine can suffer from “tension issues and the auto threader would stick to the needle and break the thread.” While this sewing machine deserves a spot on the list due to its large number of features and convenience, it sits securely at the number 5 spot.
- The Janome New Home 2030QDC-B showcases the amazing quality you associate with Janome heritage.
- It contains a variety of features normally found only on more expensive models, including 7mm stitch width, LCD display with easy navigation, and a one-hand needle threader.
- The machine offers 30 built-in stitches and 3 one-step buttonholes. Easy convenience features include a start/stop button, speed control slider, auto lock button, memorized needle up/down, and easy reverse. It is lightweight for easy portability at just 12 pounds.
- BONUS: Quilting kit and extension table
For anyone just getting into quilting for the first time, the Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Quilting Machine with 37 Stitches, 8 Sewing Feet, Wide Table, and Instructional DVD is a good beginning option. Its wide array of stitches and wide table make it perfect for quilting, without committing to a full long arm machine. And at it’s hard to beat price point, who can resist the DVD package add on? Reviewers laud it’s easy-to-transport design, although one four-star reviewer noted that they “have trouble getting it threaded on the top” but “other than that it’s perfect.”
- Easy-to-use, value-packed and versatile, perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects
- Least expensive Brother sewing machine that Includes a wide table for large scale projects such as quilts
- 37 unique built-in stitches, including a great selection of decorative stitches (74 total stitch functions), and a one-step auto-size buttonholer for virtually perfect buttonholes
- Includes 8 sewing feet, with buttonhole, zipper, zigzag, blind stitch, button sewing, narrow hemmer, walking and quilting feet.Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute):800
- Ease of use features include built-in needle threader, jam-resistant top drop-in bobbin and brightly lit LED work area
Ringing in at under $200, this machine is a must-have for anyone who is looking to branch into the world of quilting without giving up some of the catch-all features of a basic sewing machine. The built-in stitch variety is a huge selling point, as one Amazon review points out, noting there are“plenty of stitches to keep me happy when creativity strikes.” While not specifically set up for quilting, the wide table does avoid the short arm space pitfall of many basic sewing machines, all at an incredible price.
- SIMPLE-TO-USE SEWING AND QUILTING MACHINE: The CS6000i sewing and quilting machine is user-friendly. The stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose your stitch
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: This quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle. LCD Display Size (W x H)- 2.0 x 0.7 Inches
- ADJUSTABLE SEWING SPEED: The Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine features an adjustable stitch speed that gives you easy control
- WIDE TABLE: Designed for quilts and other larger projects, the CS6000i includes a wide table that gives you extra space. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute) : 850
- BUILT-IN FREE ARM: Doing intricate sewing projects is simple thanks to the free arm that helps sew sleeves, pant legs, and other cylindrical items. Refer to the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User Manual
185 stitches to choose from, a backlit LCD display, and variable speed control, all wrapped into one sewing machine for the quilter working on a budget. As pointed out by one of the 153 5-star reviews boasted by this project, ‘I would recommend this machine to anyone.” The additional sewer base attachment comes with a built-in measuring tape for easy measurements while stitching, helping you to keep your quilt tidy every step of the way.
- 185 BUILT-IN STITCHES: The DZ2400 computerized sewing and quilting machine comes with 185 unique stitches, including 55 alphanumeric stitches for basic monogramming
- BACKLIT LCD DISPLAY: Advanced technology is infused into the Designio Series, including a backlit LCD display for easy viewing in low light
- ADVANCED NEEDLE THREADING: Never struggle with threading the needle again with this built-in easy needle threading system
- VARIABLE SPEED CONTROL: The Brother DZ2400's stitch speed slide lever gives you control over how fast or slow you want to sew
- SUPER BRIGHT WORK AREA: An LED lighting system brightly illuminates your work area, which is beneficial when sewing on dark fabrics
This machine makes the top of our list of Best Sewing Machines for Quilting Under $500 due to its incredible stitch count, autopilot mode, and bonus accessory kit, not to mention the extension table that makes it a quilting must-have. With 600 stitches to choose from and an autopilot mode to make larger quilt projects a snap, we find ourselves agreeing with one 5-star reviewer who wrote that “it was fast to learn & pick up sewing while using this machine.” Whether you’re a beginner quilter looking to tack your first batting, or a tried-and-true quilter looking to expand their collection, you’ll be far from disappointed with the SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams Has a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor and crafting There's even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle's eye, in seconds The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Underplate, Button Sewing Foot, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning and Embroidery Foot, Rolled Hem Foot, Cording Foot, Straight Stitch/Quilting Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only