While most basic sewing machines can handle the occasional set of baby clothes, sewing clothing comes with its own list of complications that are unique to the craft. While quilting uses many of the same stitches and sewing clothing, the fabric weights and desired stitches can vary depending on the project. From zipper and buttons to thick weight fabrics and complicated corners, the best sewing machine for making clothes needs to have all of the basics covered, but should be versatile enough to take on even the thinnest jersey hem. If you find yourself stitching clothing on a regular basis, you want to invest in a sewing machine that can turn out your next runaway show of projects without breaking down or dropping stitches, while still feeling like you can take on other projects. That’s where investing in a good, full-sized sewing machine comes into play.
|Brother Sewing Machine, ST371HD, Strong and Tough Sewing Machine||$189.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|SINGER | Tradition 2259 Portable Sewing Machine||$83.69||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Sewing Machine, XM2701, Lightweight Sewing Machine||$93.44||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9985 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine||$510.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i||$149.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
What to Keep in Mind
A good sewing machine for making clothes will have a wide range of stitches and options, without overwhelming you. While most basic sewing machines can take on their fair share of clothing repairs, you want to look for a sewing machine that comes with a wide range of presser feet to choose from, so you don’t find yourself trying to sew on a zipper without the proper foot. You should also look for a sewing machine that is heavy-duty enough to take on the occasional heavier fabric, but not the industrial machines that you would use to take on leather projects. If you find yourself sewing large amounts of denim or leather, you should check out our pick for the Best Sewing Machine for Leather and Denim to see our picks for a truly heavy-duty sewing machine.
Without further ado, here are the best sewing machines for making clothes.
Our Favorite Sewing Machines For Making Clothing In 2019
Durable, dependable, and basic, the Brother ST371HD may not win any awards for stitch choice, but it’s a great all-around sewing machine for anyone looking to sew a wide range of clothing. The heavy-duty design of this sewing machine makes it a worthwhile investment for any crafter, and the internal mechanics are specially crafted to take on high volumes of projects day in, day out without issues. This machine is made to take on bulky fabrics and troublesome corners, as pointed out by one successful crafter in their review: “I did these stocking 4 layers 2 was fleece for the stocking & the cuff was three layers one was fleece and it went through all the layers and didn’t even slow down.” While this sewing machine doesn’t have as many stitch options as you would want for more creative clothing creation, this is a good workhorse of a sewing machine for your sewing needs.
- HEAVY-DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The Brother ST371HD is a strong, tough, and durable sewing machine designed to handle high volumes with precision
- VERSATILE, DURABLE & DEPENDABLE: The ST371HD can tackle a wide range of fabric thicknesses and weights, from denim to silk
- METAL NEEDLE PLATE: This sewing machine includes a metal needle plate, which protects the threading mechanism and improves thread pickup speed
- STURDY METAL CHASSIS: For added stability and consistent stitching at higher speeds, a sturdy metal chassis is the foundation of the ST371HD
- BUILT FOR EASY STORAGE: The Brother ST371HD includes a built-in handle that allows the machine to go from sewing table to storage quickly
This portable sewing machine comes with its own supply kit, including cleaning brushes, additional presser feet, and an easy stitch selection design that makes it a cinch to use. Although the machine has a “Bit of a learning curve with setting up the tension and using the correct needles,” according to one reviewer, the overall consensus is that this is the perfect machine for a beginner to advanced tailors and seamstresses. With an adjustable free arm for collars and sleeves, the utilitarian design of this sewing machine makes it a great option for anyone looking to experiment with different types of clothing without committing to a heavy-duty sewing machine. And with an automatic needle threader, the SINGER Tradition 2259 Portable Sewing Machine will take the headache out of your next full-scale sewing project.
- SINGER SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Tradition 2259 portable sewing machine features 19 built-in stitches, a built-in 4-step buttonhole and a heavy-duty metal frame making sewing creative projects fun and easy
- HIGH PRESSER FOOT LIFTER: The SINGER Tradition 2259 sews several layers of thick fabric. The presser foot can be raised to a higher position for easy positioning of your project
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: Best sewing machine with quick-and-easy threading, adjustable stitch length and width, free arm, and on-board accessory storage.
- FREE ARM SEWING MACHINE: The free arm provides easy access to cuffs, collars, pant hems and other difficult-to-reach areas. The on-board storage provides easy access to the included accessories
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with all-Purpose Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Button Sewing Foot, Zipper Foot, Thread Spool Caps (2), Screwdriver, Edge / Quilting Guide, Bobbins (Class 15), Needles, Seam Ripper/ Lint Brush, Foot Pedal, Power Cord, Instruction Manual, Machine Intro DVD
This fairly basic sewing machine is a good option for anyone looking for a nice, easy-to-use sewing machine to take on a wide range of clothing projects. The six included sewing feet, as well as the free arm design for collars and cuffs and the instructional DVD make this sewing machine a no-brainer for beginners and experts alike. As one reviewer raves,“ I have seen a variety of lightweight to heavyweight projects with zero mechanical problems. No broken needles, no jams, no tension problems!” While this machine isn’t as fancy as some of our other options, this sewing machine is sure to get the job done with flying colors.
- VERSATILE FREE ARM SEWING MACHINE: The Brother XM2701 27-stitch free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- 27 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: This machine includes decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches as well as other built-in stitches. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute)- 800
- 6 QUICK-CHANGE SEWING FEET: The XM2701 includes 6 quick-change sewing feet, with buttonhole, zipper, narrow hemmer, blind stitch, zigzag and button sewing
- JAM-RESISTANT: The Brother XM2701 features a jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin, a brightly lit LED work area, 27 stitches, and 63 stitch functions
- 25-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: This machine includes an instructional DVD, a bilingual user manual, and FREE technical support for the life of the product
With easy-to-follow instructions, the Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine CS6000i are sure to steal the show at your next red carpet. The durable design makes it easy to take on more difficult projects like denim, or even canvas. As one reviewer noted, “ I’ve been sewing totes and bags, which can have several layers to sew through. So far, it’s been able to handle whatever thickness I give it.” And with 60 stitches to choose from, this sewing machine is perfect for more creative sewing projects. While the LCD display may take some getting used to, the instructional DVD helps minimize the learning curve, making this a must-have for anyone looking to start sewing clothing.
- SIMPLE-TO-USE SEWING AND QUILTING MACHINE: The CS6000i sewing and quilting machine is user-friendly. The stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose your stitch
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: This quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle. LCD Display Size (W x H)- 2.0 x 0.7 Inches
- ADJUSTABLE SEWING SPEED: The Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine features an adjustable stitch speed that gives you easy control
- WIDE TABLE: Designed for quilts and other larger projects, the CS6000i includes a wide table that gives you extra space. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute) : 850
- BUILT-IN FREE ARM: Doing intricate sewing projects is simple thanks to the free arm that helps sew sleeves, pant legs, and other cylindrical items. Refer to the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User Manual
It’s hard to beat a sewing machine that has “stylist” in the name. While this sewing machine does come with a bit of a learning curve thanks to its computerized design, the 960 stitches, as well as built-in lettering function make this an ideal sewing machine for making and repairing clothes. As one reviewer noted, “It’s so easy to use and for the price, I received many sewing feet and the extension table and a cover. I really like the auto cut button.” While not as heavy-duty as some of the other options, this is a great machine for anyone looking to take the clothes projects to the next level. No matter the scope of your next project, the SINGER Quantum Stylist 9985 Computerized Sewing Machine is hands down the best sewing machine for making clothes.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9985 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features to allow you to fulfill your creative dreams. There is a large selection of stitches including basic, stretch and decorative stitches for fashion sewing, quilting, home decor, and crafting, all accessible on the color touch LCD screen. There's even a selection of fonts to personalize projects
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle's eye, in seconds. The built-in needle threader threads the eye of the needle for you, eliminating eye strain and frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9985 sewing machine has 960 Built-In Stitches including 6 Alphanumeric Fonts and 13 built-in 1-Step Buttonholes with Exclusive Buttonhole Underplate. It also has Mirror Imaging and Stitch Elongation providing even more creative possibilities
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9985 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850 stitches-per-minute, long seams can be sewn quickly
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot with Exclusive Underplate, Blind Hem Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, Overcasting Foot, Darning / Embroidery Foot, Narrow Rolled Hem Foot, Button Sewing Foot, Quarter Inch Foot, Open Toe Foot, Even Feed / Walking Foot, and Cording Foot