Sewing leather and denim can become a frustrating (or even impossible) task with the wrong sewing machine. Not only are most sewing machines not equipped to run over multiple layers of thick fabrics, but they also may run into bobbin issues, not to mention broken needles and tension issues when dealing with thicker weave fabrics. But don’t give up hope over your next leather and denim project, there are many heavy-duty sewing machines that are perfect for sewing more difficult fabrics and will turn your leather and denim struggles into a smooth sewing dream.
Before investing in a sewing machine for leather and denim sewing, keep in mind how often you will be using the project. While a heavy-duty sewing machine is a great investment for sewers of any skill levels, it’s always a good idea to keep in mind how often you intend to use your new sewing machines. If you find yourself sewing leather, denim, and thicker upholstery projects every day, you may want to invest in a sewing machine made for upholstery projects. If you are looking for a sewing machine that can take on any kind of fabric, no matter how intense, check out our countdown to the Best Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine.
Here are some things to keep in mind when looking for the best sewing machine for leather and denim.
|TOYOTA Super Jeans J34 Sewing Machine||$449.00||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|SINGER | Heavy Duty 4411 Sewing Machine||$107.74||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|SINGER | Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine||$143.54||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine||$429.00||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Sewing Machine, ST371HD||$189.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
What to Keep in Mind
A good heavy-duty sewing machine for leather and denim will have adjustable foot height, as well as heavy-duty needles and a stronger construction to hold up to the intensity needed to stitch through leather and denim. In many cases, these sewing machines are specially crafted to have more durable internal parts and are tested to ensure they hold their tension and bobbin speed while breaking through heavier fabrics. No matter how durable the sewing machine, however, it’s always a good idea to take it slow when sewing thicker fabrics, so you can make sure you get a straight stitch without accidentally tangling your machine.
Without further ado, here are the best sewing machines for leather and denim.
Our Favorite Sewing Machines For Leather and Denim
The TOYOTA Super Jeans J34 Sewing Machine is a good starting option for sewing jeans and denim. It’s multiple foot attachments and extension table make it perfect for sewing more complex projects, and its variety of stitch options make it ideal for sewing both thicker fabrics and traditional sewing projects. Plus, its ability to “glide over 12 layers of denim” makes it indispensable for any denim or leather sewing project that might need that extra kick. However, as mentioned by one reviewer, “does stitch really nicely through thick items with a normal to loose weave. It has trouble though when it gets to tighter weaves,” meaning it is not the best sewing machine available for other heavy duty projects. While this machine is sure to help you get the job done, it’s not as multipurpose as some of the other options on this list, but still a worthwhile investment for anyone looking for a sewing machine that can take the frustration out of sewing leather and denim.
- Comes with a Large 11.8" x 16.5" Extension Table for Larger Projects! The Extension Table matches the Toyota Super Jeans Black Color and also features a Ruler for Quick Measuring!
- Sew through denim, jeans and more with ease! The included Gliding Foot is found only on Toyota Super Jeans Machines and allows the user to easily glide over multiple layers of denim. Go from 3 Layers to 6 Layers to 12 Layers and watch the foot glide over all layers without missing a stitch! This machine can sew up to 12 Layers of denim without an issue! You can sew 12 Layers of Soft Denim (12oz) or 9 Layers of Soft Denim (14oz) or 9 Layers of Hard Denim (12oz).
- 34 Built-In Stitches including Utility Stitches, Stretch Stitches, Blind Hem Stitches, Decorative Stitches, Applique Stitches, Overlock Stitches, a 4-Way Smocking Stitch, a Triple Reinforced Straight Stitch, a Triple Reinforced Zig Zag Stitch and a 4-Step Buttonhole Stitch. The convenient stitch panel on the front of Toyota J34 shows you all the stitches at a glance with their corresponding stitch letter or number; making stitch selection that much easier!
- The Super Jeans J34 features an Automatic Needle Threader to help prevent eye strain and frustration when threading the needle! Adjust the Presser Foot Pressure with the simple turn of a dial. No pre-set pressures means you can fine tune your presser foot pressure with the upmost precision. The J34 even features a Free Arm for sewing pants legs, cuffs or collars and a Drop Feed Capability for Darning, Stippling, Attaching Buttons or other Free Motion
- Comes with A Bunch of Different Accessories Including - an Extension Table, a Gliding Foot, a Zipper Foot, an Overcasting Foot, a Zigzag Foot, a Blind Hem Foot, a Buttonhole Foot, a Quick Advisor Guide, 3 Packs of Needles, a Quilt Guide, a Spool Cap, a Felt, a Flat Screwdriver, Bobbins, a Spool Pin, a Soft Cover, a Seam Ripper, a Foot Control, an Instruction Book and Warranty Card
With 11 stitches to choose from, as well as an adjustable needle and a durable overall design meant to stand up to regular leather and denim sewing, this is a good mid-range option for anyone looking for a sewing machine that can tackle heavier fabrics, or one that will hold up against years of traditional sewing projects. As mentioned by one reviewer, “I work a lot of denim and other heavy material this handles all!!” And with a pressure foot that can be adjusted to fit any project, no matter how thick, this is a must-have for anyone who finds their sewing projects on the heavy side. The biggest downside for this option is that the stitches are on the basic side, and the sewing machine arm is smaller than some more flexible heavy-duty sewing machines, but overall this is a fantastic sewing machine option for anyone who finds themselves sewing leather and denim, as well as thicker upholstery fabrics.
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: It has 11 Built-in Stitches- 6 Basic Stitches, 4 Decorative Stitches, 1 Built-in Buttonhole-perfect for crafts, home decor, fashion sewing and much more
- ADJUSTABLE NEEDLE POSITION: The needle can be changed to any of the three available positions to add zippers or a decorative touch with topstitching and cording
- HIGH-QUALITY SEWING MACHINE: The heavy-duty metal frame adds stability, and with a strong motor, sewing a higher quantity of items more quickly and efficiently at 1,100 stitches per minute is achievable
- ADJUSTABLE PRESSER FOOT CONTROL SEWING MACHINE: Sew very lightweight and heavy weight fabrics with ease by adjusting the presser foot pressure
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 sewing machine is a true workhorse. With a heavy-duty metal interior frame, stainless steel bedplate, extra-high sewing speed and powerful motor, the SINGER Heavy Duty 4411 can sew a wide range of fabrics.Volts:120 V
If you’re looking for a simple, long-lasting sewing machine that can take any fabric or project in stride, this is the sewing machine for you. The Singer Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine is built to last, with a stainless steel plate meant to take on the toughest of projects. And with 32 stitches to choose from, this is the perfect option for anyone looking to bring a bit of style to their latest project. If you doubt the durability of this machine, don’t take our word for it, take the word of one of the reviewers, who’s Singer Heavy Duty 4432 Sewing Machine “ was able to machine the leather I was working on for my sofas,” proving this is a fantastic option for anyone taking on intensive projects that need a real kick in the seams.
- HEAVY DUTY METAL FRAME: Adds stability and provides long lasting durability
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included: all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper/lint brush, edge/quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, and spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- REVERSE STITCH SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER 4432 heavy duty sewing machine has a built-in reverse lever so you can sew in reverse and reinforce stitches
- WARRANTY: SINGER 4432 Heavy Duty Portable Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited Warranty
Jam-proof bobbin system, multiple, and stitches to choose from, and a design that won’t pull or bunch your fabrics, makes this the easy choice for our #2 spot. With adjustable foot height and pressure, as well as a durable design made to stand up to heavy-duty use for years, the Janome HD3000 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine is an ideal option for anyone who finds themselves taking on heavy-duty projects, but still wants the flexibility of a normal sewing machine. As mentioned by one reviewer, “this machine seems to be very comfortable with no babying or adjusting too much for thick fabric,” making it ideal for beginner sewers who are looking to take on more advanced projects, without worrying about broken needles or jammed bobbins.
- Automatic Needle Threader - No More Straining Your Eyes! Simply Use the Built-In Automatic Needle Threader and Throw Your Frustrations to the Side! / Jam Proof Top-Loading Bobbin System - It's Easy To Change Your Bobbin and There is No Need to Worry About Running Off the Edge of Your Project Because the Bobbin System is Jam-Proof
- Easy Stitch Selection - Simply Turn the Stitch Selection Dial to the Desired Stitch and the Chosen Stitch Will Appear in Red / Flip-Up Stitch Panel - Take a Look at All 18 Built-In Stitches at a Glance with the Flip-Up Stitch Panel
- Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure - A Simple Turn of the Dial will Adjust the Presser Foot Pressure Allowing you to Sew a Wide Variety of Fabric Thicknesses / Free Arm Capability - Sew Pants Legs and Shirt Sleeves with Ease Using the Free-Arm
- Comes With an Incredible Amount of Accessories - A Hard Case/Cover, Ultra Glide Foot, 2 Packs of Leather Needles, a Pack of Universal Needles, a Pack of Bobbins, Blind Hem "G" Foot, Overedge "C" Foot, Rolled Hem "D" Foot, Zipper "E" Foot, Buttonhole "B" Foot
- Also Comes With - Automatic Buttonhole "R" Foot, a Pack of Needles, Screwdriver, Small Screwdriver, Spool Holder (Large), Spool Holder (Small), Lint Brush, Seam Ripper, Additional Spool Pin, Bobbin, Quilter Bar, Felt, Foot Control/Power Cord, Warranty Card and Instructional Manual
The Brother ST371HD is not just the best sewing machine for leather and denim, it is arguably the most versatile sewing machine on our list. Able to take on even the silkiest of fabrics to the thickest of upholstery projects, this sewing machine is the true winner when it comes to a heavy-duty design that doesn’t lose out on the other features on basic sewing machines. Like one reviewer pointed out, the Brother ST371HD “Has many features that more expensive machines have” in a price range that is almost unbelievable. This sturdy metal machine is a great option for sewing leather, denim, or anything else that might need an extra bit of love for your next sewing masterpiece.
- HEAVY-DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The Brother ST371HD is a strong, tough, and durable sewing machine designed to handle high volumes with precision
- VERSATILE, DURABLE & DEPENDABLE: The ST371HD can tackle a wide range of fabric thicknesses and weights, from denim to silk
- METAL NEEDLE PLATE: This sewing machine includes a metal needle plate, which protects the threading mechanism and improves thread pickup speed
- STURDY METAL CHASSIS: For added stability and consistent stitching at higher speeds, a sturdy metal chassis is the foundation of the ST371HD
- BUILT FOR EASY STORAGE: The Brother ST371HD includes a built-in handle that allows the machine to go from sewing table to storage quickly