Embroidery machines allow you to add unique patterns and designs to any project, without the added stress of hand stitching. While embroidery machines tend to be on the expensive side, they allow you to personalize almost any project, adding a touch of class to pieces of clothing, bags, and even the edges of quilts as you sew along. Embroidery machines are not meant for use on incredibly thick fabrics, but most can handle canvas or similar designs as long as you take it slow and follow the directions. An embroidery machine is perfect for use at home, as well as for any beginner businesses you may think of down the line. As with any project, be sure to take your time and take it slow, and you’re sure to become an embroidery master in no time.
What to Keep in Mind
Embroidery machines are highly specialized, which means you should do your research before investing in one. They also come with many different features and patterns, as well as different computerized and manual settings, so it’s always a good idea to look up tutorials and guides before diving headfirst into your next project. Once you get the hand of them, though, embroidery machines allow you to add a professional touch to any project, and allow you to disguise tears, rips, scuffs, and anything else that needs that added stitch of class to breathe new life into the project.
Without further ado, here are the best embroidery machines for home use and beginners.
|Janome Memory Craft 400E Embroidery Machine||$1,349.00||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|SINGER | Legacy SE300 Portable Sewing and Embroidery Machine||$984.20||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine, SE1900||$999.00||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Sewing Machine, SE600, Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine||$309.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Embroidery Machine, PE800||$597.48||Read Reviews On Amazon|
Our Favorite Embroidery Machines For Beginners and Home Use
The Janome Memory Craft 400E Embroidery Machine is a very basic beginner embroidery machine that is good for the crafter who doesn’t see themselves doing a lot of crafting in the future. This machine is quite intuitive, and, as one reviewer noted about the Janome brand, “The machine met my expectation… I am very partial to Janome machines. They are great!” Still, the monochromatic display leaves many of the patterns feeling very 2D, though the extra large embroidery area is a real plus compared to many other models. While this machine is on the expensive side, the added benefit of a reliable, easy-to-use machine is well worth the cost, and the large embroidery area will allow you to play around with your designs without becoming frustrated at the small working area. This machine also works well for monogramming projects.
- If you want a large embroidery field at a great price then the Janome Memory Craft 400E Embroidery Machine is the machine for you
- Boasting of a 7.9"x7.9" embroidery field the Janome Memory Craft 400E Embroidery Machine rivals the top of the line embroidery machines.
- The Janome Memory Craft 400E Embroidery Machine is embroidery only and is jam packed with features.
This sewing machine comes with 250 built-in stitches, not to mention an automatic needle threader, adjustable tension, and 3 LED lights for optimal sewing illumination. The display screen is centrally located and easy to use, but monochromatic and on the smaller side compared to other embroidery machines. Still, this is a great investment for the beginner embroiderer, as one reviewer points out: “Nice machine for the price. Great for beginner only.” While this machine might not allow for as large of a customization area as some of the other machines on our list, for anyone just starting to experiment with embroidery machines, this is a great option.
- SINGER SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Legacy SE300 Portable Sewing Machine has 250 built-in stitches including basic, stretch, decorative, and buttonhole stitches allow you to sew a variety of projects, such as fashions, home décor, quilts, crafts, and more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Legacy SE300 has extra-large embroidery area, snap-on embroidery hoops, usb stick embroidery design transfer, bobbin winding while embroidering, upper thread sensor, 10 snap-on presser feet, 200 embroidery designs + 6 alphabet options which expands your creative and monogramming possibilities
- HIGH SEWING AND EMBROIDERY SPEED: The SINGER Legacy SE300 Sewing Machine has a maximum sewing speed of 800 stitches-per-minute and 700 embroidery stitches per minute, and so projects can be sewn quickly
- SEWING AND EMBROIDERY MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with large and small embroidery hoop, all-purpose foot, satin stitch foot, overcasting foot, blind hem foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot with underplate, straight stitch foot, button sewing foot, open toe foot
While not the priciest embroidery machine on this list, the Brother Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine SE1900 is an investment, but it’s worth the money. With a large sewing area, the option of a combination sewing and embroidery machine, and a color touch LCD screen, this sewing machine is perfect for beginners and home embroiderers alike. As one reviewer noted, “The touch screen is far improved than the old monochrome screen, the increased size allows us to make larger prints, it’s easy to load, easy to use, just overall really great.” While this machine does take some getting used to, there are plenty of online tutorials to help you get a hang of the machine, and the import feature allows you to customize your own larger-than-average embroidery patterns so you can really showcase your creativity.
- COMBINATION SEWING & EMBROIDERY: The SE-1900 is the perfect multipurpose sewing and embroidery machine that is easy to use and packed with features
- LARGE COLOR LCD TOUCHSCREEN: This embroidery machine features a 3.2" Sew Smart color touchscreen that lets you preview and edit
- EXPANSIVE 5" x 7" EMBROIDERY FIELD: The SE1900 computerized sewing and embroidery machine provides a 5" x 7" embroidery field for larger designs
- 240 BUILT-IN SEWING STITCHES: The Brother letter embroidery machine includes 10 frame shapes, 11 fonts (7 English, 3 Japanese, 1 Cyrillic) for monogramming, and multiple import options
- 8 VERSATILE SEWING FEET: The SE1900 comes with buttonhole, overcasting, monogramming, zipper, zigzag, blind stitch, button fitting, and embroidery feet
The large touchscreen on the Brother SE600 Computerized Sewing and Embroidery Machine is a huge bonus, as well as the general flexibility of the machine itself. While the embroidery area is on the small side, the 103 built-in sewing designs, as well as the ability to modify and import your designs, makes this one of the best embroidery machines for anyone just starting out. As one reviewer said, “Awesome machine. Never had any issues with it. Easy to use.” Thanks to the intuitive system and included instruction guide, once you power this machine up you’ll be well on your way to your next (or first) embroidered masterpiece.
- LARGE COLOR TOUCHSCREEN: The Brother SE-600 computerized sewing and embroidery machine includes a large 37" touchscreen display
- 4" X 4" EMBROIDERY FIELD: This computerized combination machine is built with a 4" x 4" embroidery field with an included hoop, embroidery arm, and foot
- ENHANCED EMBROIDERY FEATURES: The advanced features include change and preview thread colors, move designs on screen, and place lettering on arcs
- CUSTOM EMBROIDERY IMPORTS: The technology in the SE600 allows you to import your own .pes embroidery design files using the built-in USB port
- 103 BUILT-IN SEWING STITCHES: The SE600 computerized combination machine comes with 103 built-in sewing stitches, including auto-sized buttonholes
This machine has the perfect balance of available designs and reliability, without becoming too overwhelming for a beginner embroiderer. The attached USB port allows you to customize your designs online and import them to your machine, for easy edits and saving of designs. And the bonus 5” by 7” hoop allows you to stitch a wider area without having to move the hoop and risk ruining the design. But don’t just take our word for it: “I am completely new to the world of embroidery but I was looking for a way to broaden my sewing creations. After doing a TON of research on a number of different models and brands I decided to go with the PE800 and let me tell you this machine did not disappoint. It has worked for me right out the box and has done a number of different projects so far.” If you’re looking for the best embroidery machine for home use and beginners, look no further: the Brother Embroidery Machine PE800 has you covered.
- VIRTUALLY UNLIMITED DESIGN OPTIONS: The built-in memory and USB port allows you to store purchased or custom designs for future use
- EXPANSIVE 5" x 7" FIELD: The PE800 has a unique 5" x 7" stitching field for larger designs and lettering, combining designs, and less rehooping
- LARGE COLOR LCD TOUCHSCREEN: Preview your designs in color and easily switch thread colors for preview on the large LCD color touchscreen
- 138 BUILT-IN EMBROIDERY DESIGNS: This embroidery machine includes 11 lettering fonts (7 English, 3 Japanese, 1 Cyrillic), 10 frame shapes, and 14 border styles
- EXTENSIVE DESIGN EDITING: The PE800 features design editing that allows you to rotate, mirror image, and increase and decrease the size of designs