Basic sewing machines are the true workhorses of the crafting world. Whether you’re looking to work on a quilt, start sewing a whole wardrobe of clothes, or are looking to repair a popped seam, these machines are reliable and have all your sewing bases covered. A basic sewing machine is an investment for years to come, and as is the case with many products, it’s always a good idea to do your research before making an investment. While you might think your basic sewing machine doesn’t need fancier stitches or a durable frame, when you decide to expand into new crafts you might find your basic sewing machine is too, well, basic to get the job done. That’s why we’ve picked out the best basic sewing machine that gives you the durability you need, without skimping on the additional features.
What to Keep in Mind
When shopping for a basic sewing machine, you should keep in mind what kinds of crafts you like to do. If you find yourself working with heavy weight fabrics like denim and nylon, you’ll want to invest in a basic sewing machine with a little more heft to it. On the other hand, if you like to play around with different stitches and designs, look for a basic sewing machine that gives you a wide range of stitch options and foot attachments.
No matter your specific craft, a basic sewing machine is a worthwhile purchase that will quickly become the centerpiece of your crafting room, and will quickly become your go-to machine in no time at all.
Without further ado, here are the best basic sewing machines.
|Spiegel SP3201 Sewing Machine||$89.74||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Janome 3128 Sewing Machine||$149.00||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Singer Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine||$184.98||Read Reviews On Amazon|
Click image to open expanded view
Brother Sewing Machine, XM2701, Lightweight Sewing Machine
|$93.44||Read Reviews On Amazon|
|Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i||$149.99||Read Reviews On Amazon|
Our Favorite Basic Sewing Machines To Buy In 2019
32 stitches, lightweight, and easy-to-use, the Spiegel SP3201 Sewing Machine is a great first basic sewing machine for anyone. With almost twice the number of stitches as other machines in its price point, this sewing machine is perfect for general projects and straight stitching. While it might not be the true workhorse of your crafting room, this is a great option for anyone looking to start sewing casually, or who finds themselves finishing their projects on embroidery machines rather than a straight stitch. All that aside, as noted by a reviewer, “This is an amazing machine especially for beginners who are not certain yet that sewing will be a big part of their habit.” The overall design of this sewing machine is user-friendly, with an included automatic buttonhole stitcher and LED light over the workspace area. While it’s not at the top of our list, this sewing machine still deserves a place in any beginner sewing room.
- 32 Utility and Decorative Stitches
- Easy Top Loading Bobbin
- One Step Automatic Buttonhole
- Adjustable Thread Tension, Stitch Length and Stitch Width
- Thread Cutter
This is truly a basic sewing machine. No muss, no fuss, no additional frills, the Janome 3128 Sewing Machine gets the job done with flying colors. While it doesn’t come equipped with dozens of stitches to choose from, this sewing machine clocks in at 650 stitches per minute and, as one reviewer noted, “This is a very solid little sewing machine. This does a nice straight stitch at a decent speed.” While it might not be the basic sewing machine magnum opus, this sewing machine gets the job done, and doesn’t break the bank.
- Auto declutch bobbin winder
- Maximum zigzag width: 5mm, Maximum stitch length: 4mm
- 650 stitch per minute
- 4-step built-in buttonhole
- Bonus Package Includes: 10 bobbins, Schmetz 80/12 Universal Needles (5pk). *Item may be substituted and are subject to stock on hand. Packaging might vary
Just because this sewing machine is marketed as a heavy-duty model doesn’t mean it’s not a great basic sewing machine. While this sewing machine does lose points for being on the heavy side, the Singer Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine is built to last, making it the ideal basic sewing machine for any project. And of course, no matter how much we like to think we keep our sewing machines in perfect condition, this sewing machine can handle a bit of wear-and-tear, making it ideal for the all-around crafter. As one reviewer noted, “It easily handled several heavy layers of fabric without any problems. I am thrilled with this machine,” making it perfect for those in-between crafts that need a bit more elbow grease.
- SINGER HEAVY DUTY SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine boasts an array of features that make creating elegant garments and gifts for yourself and others fun and exciting. The Sewing machine with 32 built-in stitches includes 6 Basic, 7 Stretch, 18 Decorative Stitches and 1 Fully Automatic 1-step Buttonholes. A large variety of stitches for all types of sewing and perfect for crafts, home decor, clothing construction and much more
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER SEWING MACHINE: After following the threading path printed right on the machine, this built-in feature helps you to effortlessly thread the eye of the needle without eye strain or frustration, Machine Size - 15.5 x 6.25 x 12 inches
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The Singer 4452 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 1,100 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly. The 60% Stronger Motor than standard sewing machines allows it to sew through heavyweight fabrics with ease
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: Four bonus Heavy Duty optimized accessories included: Even Feed / Walking Foot for layers of fabric, Non-Stick Foot for leather and vinyl, a 5-pack of Size 16 needles and a Clearance Plate for thick seams. Plus a variety of must-have accessories are included with all-purpose foot, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, seam ripper / lint brush, quilting guide, needles, bobbins, screwdriver, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt are all conveniently located and stored in the accessory tray. A soft-sided dust cover is also included in the packaging
- BEST SELLING SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 sewing machine is a true workhorse. The stainless steel bedplate enables smooth fabric flow and the heavy duty interior metal frame ensures skip-free sewing. Top drop-in bobbin is easy to insert, remove and monitor thread supply
Simple, elegant, and packaged with its own instructional DVD, the Brother Sewing MAchine XM2701 is a great basic sewing machine for all your sewing needs. Not only is this machine great for the beginner sewer looking to invest in a machine that will adapt as they grow their sewing skills, but the lightweight design also makes it easy to transport, perfect for taking with you to sewing classes or moving around your sewing area as you work. We’ll let one of the 1,004 reviewers sum it up for us: “Very easy to use. High quality. Worth your money. :)”
- VERSATILE FREE ARM SEWING MACHINE: The Brother XM2701 27-stitch free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- 27 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: This machine includes decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches as well as other built-in stitches. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute)- 800
- 6 QUICK-CHANGE SEWING FEET: The XM2701 includes 6 quick-change sewing feet, with buttonhole, zipper, narrow hemmer, blind stitch, zigzag and button sewing
- JAM-RESISTANT: The Brother XM2701 features a jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin, a brightly lit LED work area, 27 stitches, and 63 stitch functions
- 25-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: This machine includes an instructional DVD, a bilingual user manual, and FREE technical support for the life of the product
With 60 stitches and over 7,000 reviews, this is the clear winner when it comes to choosing the best basic sewing machine. 7 styles of buttonholes to work with, auto needle threader, and a wide table for all your larger craft needs easily makes this the clear winner when it comes to basic sewing machines. One of the bigger perks of this machine is the adjustable stitch speed and the integrated computerized settings, making this a true all-around basic sewing machine for every sewing style and need. As one of the thousands of positive reviewers noted, “Love it. Works perfectly. Lightweight.” On top of all this, with a peak stitch speed of 850, this machine is perfect for freeform quilting or taking on those larger projects without worrying about getting waylaid with a slow machine. What’s not to love? Plus, the hardcover makes this sewing machine more durable than many of its counterparts, ensuring it will last for thousands of stitches (and plenty of years) to come without wearing down or breaking.
- SIMPLE-TO-USE SEWING AND QUILTING MACHINE: The CS6000i sewing and quilting machine is user-friendly. The stitch selector switch allows you to easily see and choose your stitch
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: This quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle. LCD Display Size (W x H)- 2.0 x 0.7 Inches
- ADJUSTABLE SEWING SPEED: The Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine features an adjustable stitch speed that gives you easy control
- WIDE TABLE: Designed for quilts and other larger projects, the CS6000i includes a wide table that gives you extra space. Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute) : 850
- BUILT-IN FREE ARM: Doing intricate sewing projects is simple thanks to the free arm that helps sew sleeves, pant legs, and other cylindrical items. Refer to the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User Manual